Tips for Showcasing Rooms General
- Clean the house. For buyers, dirt is the biggest turnoff.
- Remove the clutter to open up the rooms.
- Use paint to transform the walls; neutral shades are better than bright colors.
- Depersonalize the home by removing family pictures, children’s drawings and owners’ collections.
- Use the garage or carport for storing boxes, or rent a storage locker on a short-term basis.
- Tidy the landscaping, removing dead leaves, branches and plants and pruning back overgrown shrubbery.
- Plant colorful annuals in containers near the front entrance.
- Update the front yard and porch lights.
- Entryways should be as open and inviting as possible. Remove extra rugs and extra items from an entry table if there is one. Move personal effects to an inconspicuous location.
- Remove heavy window treatments to make the rooms look brighter and more airy.
- Take extra leaves out of the dining table to make the room seem larger. Remove tablecloths and polish the tabletop. Set the table with two place settings of good china.
- Leave a few pieces of art on the walls at eye level.
- Put the toaster oven, microwave or coffeemaker in the pantry to clear the countertops.
- Clear the clutter from the pantry. Make it look as large as possible by clearing out nonfood items and grouping similar items.
- Take down all personal photos, reminders and kids’ artwork from the refrigerator.
- Clean the front of all cabinets. For wood, use lemon oil.
- When the counters are clear, make them shine.
- Remove excess furniture to add “space” to the room.
- Put a new comforter on the bed.
- Display pillows on the bed in soothing colors.
- Remove as many personal items from view as possible.
- If necessary, buy a set of coordinating towels for display. If the bathroom color scheme is bright, use neutral towels to tone it down.
- Cleanliness is crucial—shower doors, faucets and knobs should shine.
- Keep the toilet lid down and hide the wastebasket.
- Remove extra area rugs to make the space look larger and cleaner.
- Repair any damaged flooring and pressure wash the entire patio.
- Add a seating area, if necessary, to indicate an attractive outdoor lifestyle.
- If the view is less than desirable, add potted palms and/or hanging plants to provide a natural “curtain.”