Key Financial Steps Toward Retirement
1. Understand your current financial situation. What is your monthly income and expenses? How much have you saved, and how much do you owe?
2. Prepare a monthly personal budget—and stick with it.
3. Start paying down credit card debt and any loans that carry a high interest rate.
4. Build a rainy day fund large enough to cover your living expenses for three to six months.
5. Open a retirement account that offers tax advantages, such as an IRA, SEP IRA or employer’s 401(k) plan.
6. When you receive a commission, put a certain percentage of it into the retirement account—or make an addition each quarter.
7. Talk with a financial specialist who can help you prepare a sound plan for retirement.
8. Invest consistently and focus on your goal. Don’t be influenced by short-term fluctuations in the markets.