Agent Survey: Top Upgrades for Home Entertainment Areas
In the backyard, a fire pit/bench ranked first followed by upgraded lighting. In the kitchen, a bar area with seating led the list followed by a place “for gathering.”
NEW YORK – As owners remodel and buyers look for that perfect home, with the prospect of entertaining guests in the near future, entertainment updates are gaining popularity.
The top entertainment updates to a home – with the potential for the largest return on investment at the time of sale – center around the backyard, kitchen and, for homes that have them, basements, according to HomeLight’s Top Agent Insights for Spring 2021 report.
In the backyard, a fire pit with a bench or couch ranks as the number one backyard entertainment feature. Nearly 77% of real estate pros surveyed cited this as a top upgrade among homebuyers in their market.
More than half of real estate pros also cited ambiance with a warm glow from lighting as a top backyard entertainment upgrade. This could include the use of spotlights, string lights and more.
Top backyard upgrades
- Fire pit and bench/couch area: 76.8%
- Lighting (spotlights, string lights, lanterns or recessed lighting): 54.4%
- Built-in grill: 53.9%
- Outdoor living room: 52.4%
- Space for yard games: 43.2%
- Elevated deck/lower patio combination for multiple outdoor spaces: 35.9%
- Television set: 35.6%
The kitchen is often the center for home entertaining. Kitchen islands remain a spotlight, along with stools to accommodate extra seating.
- Bar seating: 65.8%
- Island or peninsula with a raised countertop for gathering: 62.3%
- Combination family room/kitchen on the main floor: 56.8%
- Large pantry with counter/ability to hide food prep mess: 55.7%
- Wine fridge: 41.2%
- High-end, quiet dishwasher: 37.5%
- Showcase lighting to highlight backsplash, upscale drinkware: 31.9%
- Luxury range such as Viking or Wolf: 30.8%
- Luxury refrigerator such as a Sub-Zero: 30.5%
The basement is also getting more attention among homeowners who have a basement. Nearly 59% of real estate pros cited a basement guest suite as the top upgrade among homebuyers in their market.
- Separate bed and bath for guests: 58.8%
- Rec room setup for ping-pong or pool: 55%
- Fresh carpet or flooring: 49.2%
- Separate playroom for the kids: 44.6%
- Wet bar: 38.6%
- Separate workspace: 37.1%
- Separate storage space to preserve finished side: 33.9%
- Upgraded lighting: 33.3%
Source: “Top Agent Insights for Spring 2021,” HomeLight (2021)
© Copyright 2021 INFORMATION INC., Bethesda, MD (301) 215-4688