July 1-31, 2021 • Clean Up Florida Waters Event
For many of us, Florida’s waterways are our happy place. It’s where we boat, waterski, kayak, paddleboard, play in the ocean, watch the manatee and fish for the next big one.
For the entire month of July, Florida Realtors® and community partners are coming together to clean up our lakes, rivers, streams, bays, Intracoastal Waterway, Gulf and ocean. Join us for the state association’s largest cleanup effort July 1-31.
Every effort will make a difference.
Be sure to use the hashtag #CleanUpFloridaWaters in all promotions so everyone can see what you're doing! And be sure to upload your photos to our Dropbox folder so we can share your photos too!
How to get involved
Contact your District Vice President (DVP), local association and local YPN Network for details about their cleanup projects. (Find them using our digital Florida Realtors Leadership Reference Guide.) Join their program or create one of your own in your community.
7 steps to a successful water cleanup event
- Choose your spot. Identify a waterway that’s high profile, easy to access and/or could benefit from a trash pickup event. You know and love where you live, play and work. Solicit your local association of Realtors, brokerage/team and community organizations to get involved.
- Pick a perfect date. Fourth of July celebrations are water cleanup opportunities. This year, the Fourth of July falls on a Sunday. Celebrate our freedoms and protect the environment by scheduling a water cleanup event the week of July 5 and after other high-traffic water days.
- Recruit volunteers. This effort doesn't just have to be Realtors. Bring your friends and family along!
- Identify community partners. Have any local associations, YPN networks or government/non-profit affiliates scheduled a water cleanup event? Consider joining forces. Find other potential partners here.
- Make sure you have the right gear! Trash bags, cans, dumpsters, pickers, buckets, gloves and masks are just a few of the materials you’ll want to have on hand.
- Have a clear plan of action. Check these lists on what to do before, during and after a cleanup.
Sponsorship dollars can turn your cleanup initiative into an event
Identify movers and shakers within your local Realtor community to secure sponsorships from local merchants who depend on the waterways for their livelihoods: marinas, water tour companies, sports shops, fishing expedition companies, etc. Use these monies for food, drinks and snacks during the event, or an after-party.
Many times, local merchants will donate swag — always appreciated by volunteers! Also, welcome in-kind donations from organizations that wish to sponsor swag bags, hydration stations, event tents and supplies related to the clean-up effort.
Let NAR know you're a good neighbor!
Tally volunteer hours to show the immense impact Realtor volunteers make across Florida. Then, share details and photos about your volunteer projects so NAR can feature your efforts on social media. Shining a spotlight on your community service can inspire others to give back.
We’ve got answers…or at least we know who to contact. Please direct your questions to Mindy Wilson, firstname.lastname@example.org. She’ll get you to the right person.
Thank you to our sponsors