NAR: 2 Fla. Realtors Win Charity Recognition
MaliVai Washington (Diamond Life Real Estate, Jacksonville Beach) is a 2022 Good Neighbor top winner, and Debbie Miller (Webpro Realty, Lakeland) won honorable mention.
WASHINGTON – The National Association of Realtors® (NAR) announced its 2022 Good Neighbor Awards winners, and two of the individuals recognized are Realtors® from Florida.
MaliVai Washington with Diamond Life Real Estate, Jacksonville Beach, founded the MaliVai Washington Youth Foundation. NAR named him one of its final five Good Neighbor Award winners.
In addition, Debbie Miller with Webpro Realty in Lakeland received an honorable mention for her charity, kidsPACK, that feeds 3,000 children on weekends when they don’t get a school lunch.
2022 Good Neighbor Award winners
- Jennifer Barnes, Keller Williams Realty Peachtree Road, Brookhaven, Georgia – founder of Solidarity Sandy Springs
- Dennis Curtin, Legacy Investments, Kansas City, Missouri – founder of Mimi’s Pantry
- Jim Edmonds, Emerald Isle Properties, Kilauea, Hawaii – founder of Permanently Affordable Living (PAL) Kaua’i
- Heather Griesser LaPierre, RE/MAX Preferred Newtown Square, Newtown Square, Pennsylvania – founder of Kids Against Hunger Philadelphia
- MaliVai Washington, Diamond Life Real Estate, Jacksonville Beach, Florida – founder of MaliVai Washington Youth Foundation
“I am so proud to honor our Good Neighbor Award winners for how they’ve effected change to improve the lives of others in their communities,” says NAR President Leslie Rouda Smith. “Each of these Realtors has devoted hundreds of hours a year and raised huge sums of money for their respective causes. I salute them for their vision, dedication, passion and selfless generosity.”
For 26 years, MaliVai Washington Youth Foundation (MWYF) founder Mal Washington has been breaking the cycle of poverty through a vibrant after-school mentoring program. Originally rooted in his beloved sport of tennis, MWYF now serves 500 kids annually through a comprehensive youth development program of academic tutoring, leadership skills, financial training and fitness. He is proud of the 100% high school graduation rate of the program since the surrounding neighborhood’s dropout rate is 20%. Watch Washington’s video.
Each of the five winners – selected by a multi-stage, criteria-based judging process – will receive a $10,000 grant for their charity and be featured in the fall 2022 issue of Realtor Magazine. They will also be presented crystal trophies on Nov. 12 during NAR NXT, NAR’s annual conference that will take place in Orlando this year.
In addition to the winners, five Realtors have been recognized as Good Neighbor Award honorable mentions. Each will receive $2,500 grants for their charity, including Florida’s Debbie Miller with Webpro Realty in Lakeland. Miller also was named one of three “Web Choice Favorites” and earned an extra $1,250 for her cause, kidsPACK. More than 129,000 votes were cast during the public voting period.
Other honorable mention winners include:
- Tamara “Tami” Hicks, Century 21 Signature Real Estate, Ames, Iowa
- Lisa Hoeve, Coldwell Banker Woodland Schmidt, Holland, Michigan
- Debbie McCabe, Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Fox & Roach, REALTORS®, and the Trident Group, Devon, Pennsylvania
- Kathy Opperman, Long & Foster Collegeville, Collegeville, Pennsylvania
© 2022 Florida Realtors®