National Association of Realtors Installs 2020 Leadership
SAN FRANCISCO – Vince Malta, a third-generation Realtor®, was installed as 2020 president of the National Association of Realtors (NAR) during the recent 2019 Realtors Conference & Expo.
Florida will also have representation in NAR’s 2020 leadership team: Christine Hansen, broker-owner of Century 21 Hansen Realty in Fort Lauderdale. This year Hansen served as 2019 Realtor Party Director and focused on “ensuring Realtors understand the strength of their collective voice on Capitol Hill and in state and local legislatures while advocating on behalf of the many critical public policy issues affecting the real estate industry.”
NAR says Hansen had a “culmination of many years of service in Florida governance roles,” and “held numerous committee and task force posts in the Greater Fort Lauderdale Association, now the Realtors of the Palm Beaches and Greater Fort Lauderdale (RAPM-GFLR).
Malta served as NAR’s 2019 president-elect and 2018 first vice president. He’s been in the industry for 40 years and is a broker at Malta & Co., Inc., in San Francisco. On the national level, he’s testified before Congress multiple times on behalf of NAR, served on its Board of Directors since 2002 and was the association’s 2011 vice president of government affairs.
In 2002, Malta became a California Association of Realtors honorary member for life, in 2006 he served as CAR president, and in 2007 he was named the state’s Realtor of the Year.
Charlie Oppler, 2020 NAR president-elect: Oppler has been a Realtor for more than 30 years and is CEO of Prominent Properties Sotheby’s International Realty in Tenafly, New Jersey. He holds the At Home with Diversity certification from NAR and has served on NAR’s Board of Directors since 2003. He has served on four of NAR’s Presidential Advisory Groups while chairing the Realtor Party Coordinating Committee twice and the RPAC Trustees Committee for one term. In 2005, Oppler was NAR’s vice president for Region 2, representing New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. He was president of the New Jersey Association of Realtors in 2004.
Leslie Rouda Smith, first vice president: A Realtor for nearly 35 years, Rouda Smith is a broker associate at Dave Perry-Miller & Associates in Dallas, along with her husband Brian and their children, all of whom are Realtors. She’s been a member of NAR’s Board of Directors since 2009, and has served several years on the Executive Committee.
In 2017, she was NAR’s Vice President for Region 10, comprised of Louisiana and Texas, and chaired the “Future of the Realtor Party” PAG that same year. In 2013, she served on the NAR Leadership Team as vice president. At the state level, Rouda Smith served as the 2016 chairman of the board for Texas Realtors.
John Flor, 2020 treasurer: Flor has been a Realtor for more than 20 years and is the managing broker of Six Lakes Realty. At the national level, Flor has served on several committees, a presidential advisory group and the NAR Board of Directors. The Wisconsin Realtors Association elected Flor as its board chairman in 2010, after the Realtors Association of Northwest Wisconsin elected him president in 2009.
Mabél Guzmán, 2020 vice president, association affairs: In 2014, she served as chair of the Conventional Financing and Policy Committee, where she testified on behalf of NAR’s more than one million members before the U.S. Senate Subcommittee on Urban Affairs and Banking on for its hearing, “Inequality and Opportunity in the Housing Market.”
In 2014, 2015 and 2018, she received the Illinois Realtors President’s Medallion for Outstanding Service. She was the 2011 president of the Chicago Association of Realtors and named 2012 Chicago Realtor of the Year. Guzmán is a broker at @properties in Chicago.
Christine Hansen, 2020 vice president, advocacy: Hansen has been a Realtor for more than 20 years and is currently broker-owner of Century 21 Hansen Realty in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, a full-service real estate company with residential, luxury homes, rental and relocation department.
John Smaby, NAR’s 2020 immediate past president: Smaby’s a second-generation Realtor from Edina, Minnesota. He has been in the industry for nearly 40 years and is a broker at Edina Realty. Smaby was NAR’s 2019 president, 2018 president-elect and 2017 first vice president. He’s held numerous positions nationally and with Minnesota Realtors, where he served as president in 2015 and treasurer in 2013. In 2013, Smaby received Minnesota’s Ed Anderson Political Achievement Award, and in 2014, was named their Realtor of the Year.
NAR 2020 Regional Vice Presidents
- Gene Fercodini, Wolcott, Connecticut, Region 1: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont;
- Drew Fishman, Absecon, New Jersey, Region 2: New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania;
- Deborah Baisden, Virginia Beach, Virginia, Region 3: Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia;
- J.D. Rinehart, Jr., Rock Hill, South Carolina, Region 4: Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee;
- Pam Powers, Greenwood, Mississippi, Region 5: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands;
- Greg Hrabcak, Westerville, Ohio, Region 6: Michigan and Ohio;
- Bruce Bright, Brownsburg, Indiana, Region 7: Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin;
- Pat Ohmberger, Lincoln, Nebraska, Region 8: Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota and South Dakota;
- Dave Momper, Tulsa, Oklahoma, Region 9: Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma;
- Kaki Lybbert, Denton, Texas, Region 10: Louisiana and Texas;
- David R. Tina, Las Vegas, Nevada, Region 11: Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming;
- Angie Tallant, Fairbanks, Alaska, Region 12: Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Washington; and
- Kevin Brown, Oakland, California, Region 13: California, Hawaii and Guam.
© 2019 Florida Realtors®