2020 Election: Strong Results for Realtor-Backed Candidates
10 Realtors or affiliates were elected or re-elected, and 95% of PAC-endorsed candidates won their race.
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Realtors® spoke loud and clear during the 2020 general election, making their voices heard and helping to elect or re-elect 10 Realtors or Realtor affiliate members to office.
Overall, more than 95% of candidates endorsed by Florida Realtors PAC won their respective races following the final tally of votes.
“The difficulties Florida is facing have made it clearer than ever that we need to continue to elect legislators who understand the important role Realtors play in keeping our communities and our economy strong,” says Tim Weisheyer, 2020 chair of the Florida Realtors PAC Trustees. “Thankfully, our members were ready to answer the call this election, helping us grow the Realtor caucus and ensuring many of our endorsed candidates will be traveling to Tallahassee in support of real estate.”
The 10 Realtor members and affiliate members who won last night are:
Florida Senate candidates
- District 9: Senator-Elect Jason Brodeur – member of the Orlando Regional Realtor Association
- District 23: Senator Joe Gruters – member of the Realtor Association of Sarasota and Manatee
- District 39: Senator-Elect Ana Maria Rodriguez – employee of the Miami Association of Realtors
Florida House candidates
- District 7: Representative Jason Shoaf – member of the Tallahassee Board of Realtors
- District 36: Representative Amber Mariano – member of the West Pasco Board of Realtors
- District 67: Representative Chris Latvala – member of the Pinellas Realtor Organization
- District 74: Representative James Buchanan – member of the Realtor Association of Sarasota and Manatee
- District 80: Representative-elect Lauren Melo – member and 2020 president of the Naples Area Board of Realtors
- District 118: Representative Anthony Rodriguez – member of the Miami Association of Realtors
- District 120: Representative-elect Jim Mooney – member and past president of the Florida Keys Board of Realtors
Also, Florida Realtors supported Amendment 5 which was approved by 74.5% of Florida voters. Starting on Jan. 1, 2021, homeowners will now have up to three years to transfer their accrued Save Our Homes benefits from a house they sold to a new house they bought.
The one-year increase in the portability period will benefit some homeowners by allowing them to maintain their property tax benefits longer as they transition between living situations.
© 2020 Florida Realtors®