Fla. to Receive $2.5M for Veteran Housing Assistance
In Fla., 16 housing authorities statewide will receive money to help veterans keep a roof over their heads. It’s part of a $46M package of aid awarded by HUD.
WASHINGTON – Florida aid groups will received over $2.5 million to help U.S. veterans keep a roof over the heads. It’s part of a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) package announced that will distribute $46 million in rental assistance and housing vouchers nationwide.
The HUD-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) Program provides the assistance, which combines rental assistance from HUD with case management and clinical services provided by the VA.
A component of the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program, the HUD-VASH vouchers, enable homeless veterans to obtain affordable, decent housing in the private market.
“We have an obligation to ensure that our nation’s veterans, who have given so much for our country are not left out on the streets,” says HUD Secretary Ben Carson. “They fought for us, now it’s time for us to fight for them.”
In the HUD-VASH program, VA Medical Centers (VAMCs) assess homeless veterans before referring them to local housing agencies for vouchers. They base a decision on a variety of factors, most importantly the duration of homelessness and the need for longer term, more intensive support in obtaining and maintaining permanent housing. The HUD-VASH program includes both the rental assistance the voucher provides and comprehensive case management from VAMC.
Veterans participating in the HUD-VASH program rent privately owned housing and generally contribute no more than 30% of their income toward rent. VA offers eligible homeless veterans clinical and supportive services through its medical centers across the U.S., Guam, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.
Florida housing authorities, their VA partners and the amount of funding
- St. Pete Housing Authority and Bay Pines – $355,254
- Tampa Housing Authority and Tampa – $221,290
- Miami Dade County Public Housing and Community Development and Miami – $295,916
- West Palm Beach Housing Authority and West Palm Beach – $69,994
- Housing Authority of Miami Beach and Miami – $98.243
- Ocala Housing Authority and North Florida/South Georgia HCS – $103,567
- Palatka Housing Authority and North Florida/South Georgia HCS – $42,752
- Gainesville Housing Authority and North Florida/South Georgia HCS – $323,271
- Broward County Housing Authority and Miami – $293,080
- Palm Beach County Housing and West Palm Beach – $ 195,245
- Delray Beach Housing Authority and West Palm Beach – $63,297
- Pasco County Housing Authority and Tampa – $204,462
- Dania Beach Housing Authority and Miami – $120,024
- Boca Raton Housing Authority and West Palm Beach – $62,688
- Indian River County Board of Commissioners and West Palm Beach – $26,501
- Citrus County Housing Services and Tampa – $40.949
© 2020 Florida Realtors®