Scam Alert: New Email/Text Chilling Even if Not Believed
A few Realtors received a “texting you now to kill/assassinate you,” saying a hitman wants you dead. The scare-scam isn’t new and might be targeting the general public.
ORLANDO, Fla. – An email making the rounds nationally has targeted a number of Realtors, though it likely isn’t limited to the real estate industry.
While the scam itself is the same as any other scam – an attempt to coerce money out of recipients – it’s known as “the hitman scam” because it tries to scare people into making contact.
The disturbing scam isn’t new, and the FBI issued a warning about the tactic in December 2017. They’re sometimes called “hitman scams” or “cartel scams” and can threaten the recipient’s life or the life of a family member.
It’s still a scam, however, and members are advised to treat it as they would any other scam.
- Do not reply to the text message or e-mail.
- Block the phone number.
- Never send money or give any personal or sensitive information.
- Contact the authorities (local police and FBI).
- FBI advisement
- Georgia reported incident
- Illinois reported incident
- New Mexico and Better Business Bureau report
- Australia advisement
© 2021 Florida Realtors®