Fla. Agencies Receiving 10 Fair Housing Grants Worth $2.4M
Of that money, almost $1.5M goes to four groups under HUD’s Private Enforcement Initiative to investigate and litigate complaints filed under the Fair Housing Act.
WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) awarded $47.4 million to fair housing organizations across the country under its Fair Housing Initiatives Program (FHIP), with $2,371,333 going to organizations in Florida.
The grants support 120 national and local fair housing organizations working to address violations of the Fair Housing Act, and part of the funding allows grantees to conduct fair-housing investigations, test to identify discrimination in the rental and sales markets, and if discrimination is found, file fair housing complaints with HUD.
“The fair housing groups’ HUD funds are a critical piece of combatting housing discrimination,” said Jeanine Worden, HUD’s acting assistant secretary for fair housing and equal opportunity.
HUD grant categories
- Private Enforcement Initiative (PEI) – $34,556,620 is being awarded to organizations that conduct intake and testing, and that investigate and litigate fair housing complaints under the Fair Housing Act.
- Education and Outreach Initiative (EOI) – $10,747,218 is being awarded to organizations that educate the public and housing providers about the Fair Housing Act. These grants will also support state and local organizations that enhance fair housing laws that are substantially equivalent to the Fair Housing Act.
- Fair Housing Organizations Initiative (FHOI) – $2,156,183 is being awarded to help build the capacity and effectiveness of non-profit fair housing organizations, particularly organizations that focus on the rights and needs of underserved populations, including rural and immigrant populations.
Florida agencies funded to conduct fair housing investigations
- Housing Opportunities Project for Excellence (HOPE) Inc.: $375,000
- Jacksonville Area Legal Aid Inc.: $371,333
- Community Legal Services of Mid-Florida Inc.: $375,000
- Legal Aid Society of Palm Beach County Inc.: $375,000
Florida agencies funded to create education and outreach programs
- Florida City of Tampa: $125,000
- Florida Legal Services Inc.: $125,000
- Housing Opportunities Project for Excellence (HOPE) Inc.: $125,000
- Jacksonville Area Legal Aid Inc.: $125,000
- Legal Aid Society of Palm Beach County Inc.: $125,000
In addition, Florida Legal Services Inc. will receive $250,000 under the FHOI program.
© 2021 Florida Realtors®