12 Clever Ways Realtors Can Cater to Pet Owners
The American Pet Products Association estimates U.S. pet owners will spend $75.38 billion on their pets this year. Here are ways to serve this ever-growing niche.
1. Keep treats and an animal crate (or two) in your vehicle in case buyers decide to bring their pets along to look at properties.
2. Join a breed-specific club and socialize with members.
3. Take your dog to dog parks and connect with fellow dog owners.
4. Volunteer at a local shelter or humane society.
5. Partner with local shelters and promote pets ready for adoption on your website or social media (i.e., Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat).
6. Sponsor a local pet adoption event.
7. Set up an Instagram page to show off your own animals and use hashtags to promote yourself as a #petfriendlyrealestateagent.
8. Share articles about pets via your website and Facebook.
9. Use the phrase “Pet-Friendly Real Estate Agent” in your marketing and use the tagline “When you and your pooch are ready for a new home and backyard, talk with a Realtor.”
10. Bill yourself as a relocation specialist for buyers with pets.
11. Do your homework to find out whether a community's HOA permits pets and if there are any breed restrictions or weight limits.
12. Compile a list of the property’s pet-friendly features, such as: fenced-in backyard; pet washing area (mudroom or laundry room); pet door for animals; distance to dog parks, walking paths and beaches where dogs are allowed; and proximity to veterinarians, pet supply stores, groomers, doggie daycares and boarding facilities.